1. How do you feel about Claire disobeying Jamie and the resulting punishment he brings forth on her for this? Do you feel that Jamie's punishment was justified by the fact that everyone was put in danger by Claire's actions? Finally, did Jamie's vow with Claire's dagger do anything to sway your thoughts or change your mind on how you initially feel/felt about his punishment?
I think I alluded to this last week but I was in full support of her spanking. She didn’t think about her actions and as a result she put not just Jamie in danger. I couldn’t stand Claire at this point in the story because Jamie risks his life and the lives of the other men to rescue her (not to mention putting himself in Captain Randall’s path again) and she acts ungrateful for his help. A simple sorry wasn’t going to cut it in my opinion. Ugh! I felt she was acting like a spoiled child and fully deserved Jamie’s wrath. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t condone spousal abuse but this is a work of fiction and the girl had it coming. As for Jamie’s vow, it was dashing (not the word I was trying to come up with but it will have to do) but unnecessary in my opinion. I felt he got his point across and explained his actions to her sufficiently.
2. Just for fun, what was your reaction to the suspicious black spot Claire spotted on the floor near the area where Jamie was sleeping? Did you have any theories to what it might have been before it was revealed to be a _____?
Ok, see I knew there would come a time when reading ahead and finishing the book early would pose a problem. I don’t remember this. :-/
3. With regard to the 'changeling' baby Claire and Geilie spotted in the wild - if it were you back then and you happened upon a changeling baby in the wild in a circumstance such as this, do you think you'd have reacted most like Claire or Geilie? Explain.
As a mother I would have definitely reacted like Claire (especially if I wasn’t raised during that time and aware of the superstitions). There is no way I could leave a child outside to die alone. How heartbreaking!
4. Share your thoughts on Geilie Duncan. Is there anything that surprised you about her story or were you suspicious of her from the beginning?
Geilie Duncan was a piece of work for sure. I was shocked with how enterprising she was. She had an agenda and nothing was going to stand in her way. I have to admit I didn’t suspect that she was from the future as well though so I was pleasantly surprised when I found that out. I thought it was noble of her to sacrifice herself for Claire though.
5. Your thoughts on Jamie's LAST REASON for wanting to marry Claire - the one he had been so secretive about. GO!
“Because I wanted you.” He turned from the window to face me. “More than I ever wanted anything in my life,” he added softly.
And let the swooning begin. His reason and subsequent explanation was both romantic and amusing. Who doesn’t want to hear that someone knew the moment they laid eyes on you that you were the one? And every woman wants to be desired. Oh Jamie Fraser, I see why you are so popular with the lady readers.
To get the next set of questions, that cover Chapters 29 - 35, head over to Logan E. Turner and Logan will give you those.
Also don't forget the official Twitter hashtag for the read along is #OutlanderRA – You can use it to tweet your read along posts, updates or just comment about the book while reading it! Happy Read-A-Long Everyone!