Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: Blue Monday

Need to Know Info:

Title: Blue Monday
Author: Nicci French
Format: Hardcover, 322 pages
Publisher: Pamela Dorman Books
Release Date: March 1st, 2012

Synopsis from Goodreads
Frieda Klein is a solitary, incisive psychotherapist who spends her sleepless nights walking along the ancient rivers that have been forced underground in modern London. She believes that the world is a messy, uncontrollable place, but what we can control is what is inside our heads. This attitude is reflected in her own life, which is one of personal integrity and order.
 

The abduction of five-year-old Matthew Farraday provokes a national outcry and a desperate police hunt. And when his face is splashed over the newspapers, Frieda cannot ignore the coincidence: one of her patients has been having dreams in which he has a hunger for a child. Soon after Frieda finds herself in the center of the investigation, serving as the reluctant sidekick of the chief inspector.

Carrie's Review:
Blue Monday is the first book in a series about psychotherapist Frieda Klein. The story is set in London where Frieda finds herself in the middle of a manhunt for a child abductor. Since this book is a mystery/thriller I don’t want to give away too much in my review but I thought I would share my feelings on a few things.

First off, the story grabbed me right away with the abduction of a 5 year old. My son is the same age so my stomach was instantly in knots. I found myself going through a range of emotions as we got different character’s perspectives. I felt the story developed at a reasonable pace and all the supporting characters got ample time in the spotlight for character development.

Frieda herself was developed well. We get just enough of her past that once combined with the present we have a pretty good idea of who she is and what motivates her. With that said however she wasn’t all that likeable for me. She definitely reminds me of those really smart people that tend to be closed off.

Lastly, I want to talk about the plot/ending. There were some twists I didn’t see coming which always makes me happy in mystery books. However, I did feel that the protagonist made some pretty big leaps to get to some of her conclusions. Also my biggest complaint with the book was the ending. All I will say is that something happens that I saw coming and it drove me crazy that all these educated people in the book didn’t figure it out in the end.

All in all though, it was an interesting and exciting read. This is my first book by Nicci French and she has left me intrigued. I may have to pick up another book by her in the future.

Rating~

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I was looking at this book a few days ago. Will have to put it on my list now. I read a book by Nicci French EONS ago, and don't remember much of it other than loving it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...