Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mini Reviews: Firelight & The Winter Sea

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

The Saturday before Valentine’s Day I decided I needed to read a little romance. Lately I had been reading books with some heavy subject matter and wanted a bit of fun. While going through my shelves I came across Firelight. I had heard good things about the series and figured fantasy and romance was just what I needed. Once I started this book it was almost impossible to put down. I stayed up until midnight reading it when eventually sleep got the best of me and I had to put it down. Rest assured I picked it back up on Sunday and read till I ran out of pages.

Sophie creates a unique world for her characters. I loved the fantasy element of mythical dragons brought into the modern world. I thought her attention to detail truly brought the draki to life. Speaking of characters, I felt that Jacinda and Will were strong characters. I understood their motivations and the draw to each other. Both of these characters have a lot thrown at them and I felt they dealt with them in a realistic way. Sophie is very good at what she does and that is writing romance. She creates an exciting and forbidden romance between the two but keeps it clean for younger readers. My only small complaint is that I felt some things got a bit repetitive (especially Jacinda’s internal monologue).

The pacing of the book was well thought out. It started out exciting and ended exciting. I had no problem turning the pages. The storyline kept me on the edge of my seat and the ending…oh the ending. Why do these paranormal romance books love to end on cliffhangers? Now I must try and get my hands on a copy of Vanish.

If you are looking for a unique paranormal romance book than I totally recommend Firelight.

Rating~





The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

I'm a huge historical fiction fan and have always been interested in Scotland (since my ancestors trace back to there). I bought this book on a whim (it was a Nook Daily Find) because I was drawn to the premise. I was intrigued from the get go but it did start off a bit slow for me. However once it grabbed me, it never let go. This book was just a joy to read. It made me laugh and it made me cry (literally). It is the perfect blend of contemporary and historical fiction, of romance and mystery. This book has it all. Do yourself a favor and read it! Tip: It doesn't hurt if you have access to a pint of ale and a helping of fish n chips! Enjoy

Rating~

6 comments:

  1. I love the cover of The Winter Sea, and it's been on my list for a while. Thanks for reminding me... Great thoughts...

    yes! You need to get your hands on Vanish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Winter Sea sounds great! I love historical fiction but haven't read anything related to Scotland since a Phillipa Gregory kick a few years ago. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan to read the Winter Sea soon. I'm really picky with historical fiction, if it doesn't grab me from the beginning I usually can't bring myself to finish it. I will definitely keep in mind that I need to push through the beginning to get the good part when I pick this up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of Firelight. My library has a copy. I need to read it super soon. You make it sound incredible...Also LOVE that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanish picks up right where Firelight leaves off. I was really looking forward to seeing what would happen to Jacinda and her family once they returned to the pride. Jacinda was a bit of a mess throughout the book. Very confused about what she wanted, and also about Who she wanted. One minute she wanted Will, the next, Cassian. I can definitely sympathize with what she¿s going through, leaving behind someone you love is definitely heartbreaking. Will was still about the same as he was in Firelight. He really cares for Jacinda, and does some very brave things for her.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...