Monday, January 23, 2012

Mini Reviews: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight & The Reapers are the Angels


Finished Copy provided by Little Brown for Review

I was looking for a light/easy book that I could just snuggle up with and quickly read on the weekend. This book was that and more.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight takes place in just 24 short hours. That concept drew me in right away. I was intrigued to see how the author was going to tell the story and make me care about the characters in such a short time span. Well let me just tell you, that she succeeded.

Hadley and Oliver are both very relatable characters. They are both dealing with some tough issues in their life but I thought the author handled it in such a clever way. I enjoyed how the story unfolded and how we learned the information a bit at a time. From the moment these two meet, how can you not root for them? Oh and I’m a sucker for a guy with an accent.

This book is full of interesting twists and turns, characters that are likable, and family issues and emotions that are important to address.

If you are looking for a cute love story that will have you smiling throughout the book, then I HIGHLY recommend The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. Simply put, sometimes you just need to read a book that makes you happy. This was it for me!

Rating~



Borrowed from the Library

I thought The Reapers are the Angels was an interesting read. I chose this book for an Alex awards challenge I signed up for. It was written for adults but has elements that will appeal to a mature teen audience as well.

Zombies have infested a fallen America but it is so much more than just a zombie book. Set in the South, it has western elements along with some stereotypical Southern characters. There is horror and violence but it is certainly more character driven. At 15 years old, the main character Temple (who only knows the world since the zombie infestation) definitely has a strong and unique voice. She really draws you into the story. She meets lots of strange characters on her journey that impact her and definitely leave their mark.

The story raises some interesting questions and will most certainly leave you thinking. The ending was a surprise for me which was a good and a bad thing.

The Reapers are the Angels is not your typical run of the mill zombie book. So if you are looking for something different within the genre I would recommend this book. *Cowboy hat not required*

Rating~


5 comments:

  1. I don't usually go for contemporary YA but for some reason "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight" has caught my attention. I'm glad you gave it a good rating - it means I'll give it a chance one of these days :)

    Thanks for the review!
    ♥Isalys

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight! Hadley and Oliver were such great characters! I totally agree, I love accents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so on the fence about Statistical Probability because I kinda loathe insta-love in books and soooo many times when I see it, it's done so poorly that it ruins the whole book for me. But everyone has such great things to say about this one, I might just have to cave and check it out after all.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. I've been hearing great things about Statistical Probability but it is The Reapers Are The Angels that has my attention...

    First off, ROCK ON for the Alex Award. I am a huge advocate of this award and am doing this challenge too. I was holding off on picking what I wanted to read until the new honorees/winners were announced yesterday (yay The Lover's Dictionary!) so now I feel like I can get started. Even though you call this a mini-review, you list several things that make me a little bit intrigued about this one, one of which is the Southern-thing. You KNOW I am a Southern girl and I love all things Southern. Plus I love zombies. So I think I'll throw this one on the TBR and maybe possibly read it for the challenge as well. I don't know what to think about the good/bad ending part, but I'll just have to see when I read it!

    Love these sweet little baby reviews, Carrie! (they're really not all that little!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...