Monday, December 12, 2011

Mini Reviews: Soulless & Dark Inside



Soulless by Gail Carriger – 4 hearts

Soulless is my first venture into the world of steampunk. It came highly recommended by several of my favorite bloggers. It was a fascinating melding of the different genres. It effortlessly combines elements of historical fiction, romance and paranormal all into one exciting ride. Gail's writing is fun and witty. She had me giggling quite often throughout the book. The character of Miss Alexia Tarabotti is so spunky for a self proclaimed spinster. There are Victorian ladies in bustles, werewolves, vampires and highly improper sexy situations. What's not to like I say? I simply can’t wait to pick up the next book in the series.





Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts – 5 hearts

I bought this book on a whim. I thought the premise sounded fascinating. This book was dark, intense and scary good. From the moment I started it I was hooked. It had me completely on the edge of my seat. It revolves around four different teens from Canada and the US. I really liked how the story jumps between each of them and completely left you out of breath by the end of each chapter. It was fascinating to see how each of them handled themselves in this crazy new world and how very soon their lives would collide. I am a self proclaimed baby. I’m easily scared and avoid scary movies at all costs but I simply couldn’t shut my eyes this time. Nerves be damned, I had to see this book through till the end. I highly recommend this book to fans of dystopian novels as well as fans of horror and zombie fiction.


6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I loved both :) Dark Inside freaked me out in the first 3rd of the book, and that almost never happens to me :D Can't wait for the sequel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! You loved Soulless, and this is a very good thing :) I'm reading the fourth in the series, Heartless, at the moment and you won't be disappointed. Ms Carriger's books are like a fine cake; you want to devour it all in one sitting, even though you know you shouldn't, and you never regret it if you do. And, like fine cake, they are best consumed with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked Dark Inside as well! I absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure when going in, but wow... I was hooked after a few pages! Great review. I agree completely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Soulless on my shelf and I guess I'm afraid to pick it up because I haven't tried any steampunk yet so I don't know if I will like it. I should just get over my fear though and test the waters.

    Thanks for the great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard such wonderful things about Soulless. glad to know you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO SO SO glad you loved Soulless.
    CANT WAIT to dive into Dark Inside.

    love this post!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...