Thursday, September 1, 2011

Review: Witch Song

Need to Know Info:

Title: Witch Song
Author: Amber Argyle
Format: Paperback, 305 pages
Publisher: Rhemalda Publishing
Release Date: September 1st, 2011
Rating: 4 out of 5 HEARTS

Synopsis from Goodreads
The world is changing. Once, Witch Song controlled everything from the winds to the shifting of the seasons--but not anymore. All the Witches are gone, taken captive by a traitor. All but Brusenna. As the echo of their songs fade, the traitor grows stronger. Now she is coming for Brusenna. Her guardian has sworn to protect her, but even he can't stop the Dark Witch. Somehow, Brusenna has to succeed where every other Witch has failed. Find the traitor. Fight her. Defeat her. Because if Brusenna doesn't, there won't be anything left to save.

Carrie's Review
Witch Song takes you on a fantastical ride as one young witch journeys to face the enemy and discover her true voice.

It is the story of Brusenna, a young (relatively untrained) witch who finds herself the last hope amongst the witches. Can she rescue the keepers, defeat the evil enemy and set things right again with nature?

Amber created a very tenacious main character. Brusenna is strong but vulnerable, wise but naive, compassionate but harsh, stubborn but faithful. I felt all these things combined made her feel more real. I was cheering her on one minute and then shaking my head at her the next minute. Isn’t that what our teenage years are all about though? Trying to figure out who we are and how we fit into this bigcrazy world.

Amber packs a lot of action into this book. Since Brusenna’s journey takes her far from home she finds herself in new places with new people and unexpected adventures to face. She takes you to battles on land, to the sea and back again. Detail is one thing this book doesn’t lack. As Brusenna’s journey unfolds you are transported to new places with vivid detail. From the people, to the clothing, to their surroundings you feel like you are right there in the thick of it with Brusenna. I will say that sometimes all the detail did slow the pace down a little bit for me and I struggled with the names of the characters for some reason. I know you can say them however you want in your head but I found myself often questioning if I was pronouncing them correctly.

Of course you can’t have an epic journey to fight evil without some back-up. Here enters the character of Joshen. He is her loyal guardian and faithful companion. Amber describes him as a cowboy and I think that classification fits him very nicely. He is rugged, strong, adventurous, loyal and determined. I thought he was a nice addition to the story and helped to round out the harshness of Brusenna at times. I enjoyed watching Brusenna and Joshen’s relationship develop and grow. I felt that it added an extra dimension to the story without overpowering the adventure element. It was a nice balance that helped keep the story interesting and kept the reader engaged.

I want to touch on the ending really quickly. I felt it was a bit rushed unfortunately since we had so much build up to this epic ending that the final battle left me wanting a bit more. However the book as a whole was an enjoyable read and one that I would definitely recommend to readers who enjoy fantasy. I think Amber Argyle has created a unique and fascinating debut novel and I wish her and Witch Song lots of success!

4 comments:

  1. Great review! This book sounds really good. Does make me sad when the ending lets it down though

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cait: I wouldn't say it was a letdown. Just over to quickly. I wanted more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to read this!!!!!!!! Have to. NO NO NO I am on a book BAN. BUT, I will eventually get this! :) eventually

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...