Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday #23

"Waiting On" is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

What I'm "Waiting On" this week..

Shannon's pick:

ASHES by Ilsa J. Bick
Release Date: September 2011 from Egmont USA
 
Synopsis from Goodreads
A cataclysmic event. An army of "The Changed."
Can one teen really survive on her own?

An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky, destroying every electronic device and killing billions. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human...

Desperate to find out what happened and to avoid the Changed, Alex meets up with Tom---a young army veteran---and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse.

This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to survive. 


First of all, this cover freaks me out but in a good way! Second, I am not a fan of horror novels, but whether or not this is classified as horror or dystopian, I simply don't care. The premise sounds really interesting and I'm curious to see how this post-apocalyptic world plays out. I also really love the whole aspect of a improvised family filled with people of different ages and backgrounds. Its something you certainly don't see very often in YA fiction, that being said, I really do hope that its not to scary. LOL!

Carrie's pick:

POSSESSION by Elana Johnson
Release Date: June 7th from Simon & Schuster 
 
Synopsis from Goodreads
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them, starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


I'm a fairly new reader of Dystopian novels. Shannon got me to read The Hunger Games, which I loved and then I couldn't resist all the hype surrounding Wither (which I also really enjoyed).  Ever since I've been on the prowl for another Dystopian to read when I stumbled upon Possession. The premise has me very intrigued so I'm anxious to read all about the new world Elana has created. I'm also planning to attend her book launch party next week and snagging myself a signed copy. Gotta support my local Utah writers!

Also just in case you don't know who Carrie is; she's my sister and will contributing to the blog with post & reviews from time to time. If you want to find out a little more about her, go Here.

2 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of post apocalyptic and dystopian fiction, so both books are must reads for me. I could not agree more with your picks! You can find mine here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posessesion looks really good, I agree. I still need to get into thise dystopian thing. It's not that some of the books don't sound good. I just get caught up in other titles and haven't gotten to them yet. Sigh.

    -Let's Get Beyond Tolerance

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...