Friday, June 17, 2011

Review: Moonglass

Need to Know Info:

Title: Moonglass
Author: Jessi Kirby
Format: Hardcover, 224 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: May 3rd, 2011
Shannon's Rating: 4 out of 5 HEARTS

ARC Received through Good Golly Miss Holly ARC Tour

Synopsis from Goodreads
I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.

Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.


While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.


Shannon's Always Spoiler-Free* Review (*unless otherwise noted)
Moonglass is a beautifully written novel of acceptance and self-discovery set against the sun-soaked sand and waves of summer.

I loved the character of Anna, as she's just the right balance of smart, confident, tough, and yet still vulnerable. She's also very easy to relate to because she doesn't always make the right decision. She's had to become very mentally strong to deal with the death of her mother and I loved getting to watch as she slowly let new people into her life. I also appreciated the realistic, if not strained relationship that Anna shares with her father.


I really enjoyed the pacing and unpredictability of Anna and Tyler's relationship since I never really knew what to expect from it. One minute I'd think it wasn't really going anywhere, and then the next, I'd be wondering why they weren't already making out somewhere, LOL.


One relationship I wanted to learn more about was Tyler's relationship to Jessica. I can't talk to much about it without giving anything away, but I will say that I expected more of an explanation to what happened. I felt kind of cheated that this "thing" only gets a very small mention. I think if each of them had discussed more about what happened, it could have provided Tyler and Jessica with more depth and a deeper understanding of Anna's personality.

The way in which author Jessi Kirby slowly reveals the details of Anna's, mother's death is truly moving, not just for Anna but for the reader as well. It also help to better explain the strained relationship and distance that has grown between Anna and her father. I loved all the mermaid metaphors that were used throughout the book since they truly helped to capture the atmosphere and mood of the story.

Recommended to any fan of YA contemps. Jessi Kirby is an author to watch and Moonglass is a novel that shouldn't be missed.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed this one as well. I thought Anna was a fabulous character, and I especially loved all the secondary ones as well. And I agree with you on Tyler and Anna's relationship- some more development would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review chica!! I especially liked your opening line :) Sounds like a very moving read.

    ♥Isalys

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got this book on my to-read list, and I'm hoping to get to it soon! It sounds like a really good read. Thanks for sharing your review, I'll have to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this review. Especially that first line. Sounds like such a great summer read.
    And with a character named Jessica it has to be a good book, right?? ;D
    I need to get this one so it can be added to my summer reading pile.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...