Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review: Forgotten

Need To Know Info:

Title: Forgotten
Author: Cat Patrick
Format: Hardcover, 288 pages
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: June 7th, 2011
Shannon's Rating: 3 out of 5 HEARTS


Received Finished copy for review from Little Brown 

Synopsis from Goodreads
Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future. 

Shannon's Always Spoiler-Free* Review (*unless otherwise noted) 
Forgotten was a novel that I was extremely excited to read due to its unique premise and while its uniqueness does hold true; the mystery behind London's visions and the ending left me very underwhelmed.

Although I felt slightly disoriented at the start of the novel, author Cat Patrick quickly helps explain how London's memory resets and all the complications she endures because of it.  I really liked London and how determined she is. She has to work 10 times hard then everyone else because she can't ever remember what she's learned or done the day before. Also even though she did some things that really frustrated me, I liked that London wasn't perfect. I think it would have been really easy to make her always do the right thing because of how much her memory handicaps her.

When London first meets Luke its instant fireworks. He's cute, mysteries and makes her feel both elated and confused. I particular enjoyed the scene between the two of them in the van, its very innocent, beautiful and funny. However, even though I liked Luke he felt more like what a cute boy in a YA novel should be, instead of a well rounded, deep and layered character of his own.  Luke is charming, funny, thoughtful, understanding and...just to perfect. Does that make sense? The more I got to know him, the more unrealistic he seemed and that really distracted me.

While I did enjoy the way we got to see the relationship between London and Luke develop, I felt that the novel relied to heavily on it instead of focusing more on the mystery behind London's visions. The visions themselves are part of a key plot point that seems to come out of nowhere since much of that storyline felt kind of like an afterthought. This was the strangest thing for me to wrap my head around because it turns out to be such a HUGE twist and it deserved much more attention then it got. Further complicating the matter is that 90 pages before the end of the novel, the truth behind the visions is revealed and then its a rush to explain everything before the novel's finish. This makes the ending feel very disjointed and abrupt, since at only 288 pages I think the ending could have been better explained and wrapped up.

Although I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping too and some of the plot felt underdeveloped I did appreciate the quicker pace and original premise. Fans of contemporary or paranormal novels might really enjoy this one due to the romance and memory resetting but mystery fans should probably skip this one.

3 comments:

  1. Really good review, much more analytical than the others I've seen which I like!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Shan. I think you explained your feelings on the book very well. Also I totally get your "just to perfect" comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been seeing a lot of mixed reviews on this one. While the premise does sound very interesting I don't like the fact that they rush things at the end!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...